This special appliance (attached with bands or bonds) widens the roof of your mouth by gently separating the suture in the center of your palate.
Why is this sometimes necessary?
- To expand the upper jaw for a proper fit with the lower jaw
- To make room for crowded teeth
How long will it take?
- Usually about 2–4 weeks
- Appliance remains in place longer while the new bone is generating in your expanded arch
Will I feel it moving?
- You may sense some initial discomfort and pressure, causing a tingling or itch under your special appliance.
- A tingling sensation may occur on the bridge of your nose.
What should I do during the expansion period?
- Use your toothbrush carefully around the special appliance.
- Use a Waterpik® and mouthwash to keep your mouth free of spoiled, irritating food particles.
- Take aspirin for any discomfort.
Most important: You or one of your parents must activate your appliance as instructed by your doctor.
To Activate Your Appliance
- Loop the string (attached to the special key) around your finger or wrist to prevent it from accidentally slipping down the throat.
- Insert the key carefully into the hole or slot in the middle front part of your appliance.
- Push the key gently and steadily from the front toward the back of your throat. Pushing the key back as far as possible brings forward a new keyhole position. Now you’re ready for the next activation!